Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Scratch Beginnings

Scratch Beginnings offers a reality in stark contrast to the scene laid out in A Crime So Monstrous.


"As you're going to see throughout the course of my journey, this is not a modern day rags-to-riches, get-rich-quick story. “I made a million, and you can too!” Nope. Too cliché, and, ironically, too unrealistic. Mine is the story of rags-to-fancier-rags. I'm not an extraordinary person performing extraordinary feats. I don't have some special talent that I can use to “Wow” prospective employers. I'm average. My story is very basic, simple. My story is about the attitude of success. My goal is to better my lot, to provide a stepping stone over the next 365 days for everything else I want to accomplish in my life. I aim to find out if the American Dream is still alive, or if it has, in fact, been drowned out by the greedy and the lazy."

With all his exposure on Fox News I don’t even see a reason to remake Adam Shepard in the Brett Farve media darling model because he’s not working for that. The greatest reward he was after is the ability to work and maintain a productive life without anyone else’s interference. The problem is now that he’s been promoted to the status of celebrity I don’t think he could ever find a way to get away from the hounds. People are forced to live by different rules and set different goals day to day in the public eye. He should enjoy his lease freedom while it lasts because it’s just not his time to suffer.

People will find a way to tear down everything he has built, all in the name of change or equality. I’m penniless and stuck in a Spanish-only small town with no employable experience except a clean record and a spotless DMV because I don’t drive anywhere. Still all these people stand outside the front door ready to fight like dogs to take that way from me.

No comments: